Call us: 905-875-2069
Interpreters available by phone

Frequently Asked Questions

Where are you located? I’m on Dorval, but I can’t find the building.
Our address is Unit 400-700 Dorval Drive, but the driveway entrance is located off of Wyecroft Road.
Are you Legal Aid?
Our clinic is funded by Legal Aid Ontario but we are governed by an independent Board of Directors who are representative of the community we serve. The Board decides our priorities in order to determine how to best serve the diverse legal needs of low income residents of Halton.
Can I get a Legal Aid Certificate from your Office?
No. We can refer you to Legal Aid Ontario to apply for a certificate.
I need to speak with a lawyer immediately. My matter is urgent.
In order to help you and ensure you get the right answers to your problem, we have to gather information from you and ask questions to understand your problem first. This is a necessary part of our intake process.
What are the areas of law you deal with?
We help with income assistance and related public benefits, employment rights, housing matters and tenant rights, and human rights.
Can you point me to the right place where I can get help even if you do not deal with my area of law?
Yes, we provide referrals for problems we cannot directly assist with.
When are you open?
Our office is opened Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. We are closed on public holidays.
Can you help me if I do not live in Halton Region?
We are mandated to provide services to people who live in Halton Region, but if you contact us we can refer you to somewhere you can get the help you need.
Do you give legal advice to landlords?
We only provide advice to tenants. If you are a landlord and need legal help, you can contact the Landlord Self Help Centre at 416-504-5190 or 1-800-730-3218 or